Are you ready for Red Ribbon Week® (October 23-31st)?
The Red Ribbon Campaign® is the oldest and largest drug prevention program in the Nation and a way for people and communities to unite and take a visible stand against drugs.
The campaign offers the perfect opportunity to promote the importance of living healthy and drug free to children and teens in homes, schools and communities. This year’s theme, “Love Yourself. Be Drug Free.™” is a wonderful, positive message to share – and we invite you to join us.
Here’s what you can do:
- Plan your Red Ribbon Week. Download the Red Ribbon Planning Guide.
- Order and display Red Ribbon Materials.
- Win an iPad for your family and $1,000 for a local K-12 school. Enter the National Red Ribbon Photo Contest.
- Spread the Red Ribbon message online. Check out Sample Tweets & Facebook Posts. #redribbonweek #loveyourselfbedrugfree
- Take the Drug Free Pledge
- Look For Red Ribbon Ideas & Share Your Events with Others
Red Ribbon Week is intended to demonstrate a unified and viable commitment to the creation of a drug-free school and community. Schools are encouraged to sponsor drug-prevention activities and programs during this week.
Here are some suggestions adapted from the Kentucky PTA Idea Book 1995–1997 and National PTA Best Ideas:
• Plan a Hat Day to symbolize putting a “lid” on drug use.
• Plan a Tie Day to symbolize being tied to a healthy lifestyle.
• Have contests for creating buttons, T-shirts, slogans, posters, rap music, or door decorations with a drug-free message. Designate a day for students to wear their T-shirts. Display the posters in the school halls, area businesses, and malls. Play the rap music in the cafeteria during lunch.
• Provide red ribbons for all faculty, staff, students, volunteers, and visitors to wear. Give red ribbons to area businesses as well, and ask them to spread the drug-free message.
• Have a Wear Red Day, and award prizes to the class wearing the most red.
• Attach red ribbons to your October PTA newsletter. Include an article that explains Red Ribbon Week and that lists your school’s Red Ribbon Week activities.